Friday, April 14, 2006

Don't Try This at Home!

Okay, well if you read my last post I mentioned that I had worn my hair in a ponytail during my grandmother's illness and in her passing. To be honest, I just wasn't feeling the hair very much. Besides, I had far more things to work on and be concerned with (I designed her funeral program...see the last post).

Anyway, as a result of my hair being pulled back, and my need for a retightening I decided it was best to use a little bit of gel (eek!) and mousse (yuck!) to tame the growing halo around my head.

Well as it turns out, gel and mousse are not the best products for locks (duh!!). I had buildup for days, and it wasn't that little flaky gel buildup. It was sticky, icky buildup. I was terrified at the thought of what my hair would look like if I couldn't remove it. So, here's what I did...

I soaked my hair in a concoction of veggie wash, clarifying shampoo, dishwashing liquid, and (shutter) Krud Kutter! Yep, Krud Kutter. I was so desperate and determined to remove the buildup that I lost my mind! However, I am happy to report...my hair is free of buildup and surprisingly pretty soft. I guess I must have stripped everything out, cause my scalp was a little dry, but its all good now. A few EO spritzes and all is well.

Just don't EVER try this at home.

Be blessed,

KLW

12 comments:

Leighann said...

Wow. That was quite the cautionary tale! But alls well that ends well I suppose. Nice to have you back in the blogosphere. Maybe next time just a headband?

Salkis Re said...

Hey, your hair is beautiful. Sorry to hear about the build-up issue. It's funny that you had that experience with two products are are water soluble. Actually, shea butter causes more build up than mousse.

KDL said...

Salkis,

Shea butter is definitely a no-no in my opinion. Especially with sisterlocks. But my experience was definitely a lesson learned.

Thanks for your response,
KLW

KDL said...

Leighann,

Girl my hair was so out of control my headbands were just no help at all. I was forced to desperate measures!!!

Take care,
KLW

Sister-in-Locks said...

I personally think you were rockin that pony tail

Maryee said...

Thanks for the 4-11!! Your hair is really growing! Nice!

KDL said...

Karen,

I'll let you in on a little secret...I loved my ponytail!!! The buildup on the other hand is a different story.

Thanks!

KDL said...

Thanks Tra and Maryee!

Creyole said...

Whew, looking good considering the situation you went through.

Also, if you ever need to remove build up in the future you an try Aveda's Hair Detoxiofier...it works very well.

Ree-C said...

I'm glad to hear that you resolved that issue. Just consider it a lesson learned. I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Chi-chi said...

Thanks for the heads up. If I was going to do it before, I definitely won't do it now! You're brave for using the krud kutter. I probably would have used undiluted ACV and still ended up with a mess. My condolences on your grandma's passing. Peace,
Chi-chi

Ziggy said...

your hair is beautiful. any advice to a newcomer?